Sunday, November 20, 2016

Week 66 November 14, 2016

I thought this picture was very fitting...Christ holding that which he created. THE SUN!
So out here in Peru the word on the street is that Trump won. Well, that is, "troomp", the next President of the good ole U S of A. I'm just waiting for the meme that says "You're fired" when he's inaugurated. It's not like us missionaries know anything about current events (other than the fact that all water in Talara is contaminated and Susana flooded her house yet again) but I would imagine that this means America will see a few more dark days ahead. But take it from Paul Harvey when he said:

"In times like these, it's helpful to remember that there have always been times like these."

With that, this week has been a little rocky. I don't mean boulders or anything, but you know, some medium sized stones placed in our path. Most of the time I like to sugar-coat my emails with rainbows and butterflies (missions do have a lot of those, only figuratively) but this week I can only be honest. The leadership of this branch has its imperfections, as do we all, but as of late it's beginning to feel slightly corrupt. No, no not Hillary Clinton corrupt.... So, I always thought that challenges for missionaries ranged from hard companions to rejection but, to my surprise, it seems to go a little further than that!

These problems are the kind that are out of my control. So all I can do is keep smiling, keep walking, and keep having spontaneous missionary-appropriate dance parties every time we find a new investigator. Works for me!
We are going to submit our "Missionary model" picture to be featured on LDS.org (;
I can't tell you enough how much I LOVE the Hernandez family! Toni received the priesthood yesterday and the baptisms of his younger brothers will happen here shortly. YAY!!! Saturday night, we were sitting with the entire family, minus their dad Jesus. Not long after the lesson began Jesus showed up. The smell of alcohol was immediately noticeable. Juli was NOT happy. As we began talking he told us that he had seen us on the street while he was drinking and hid because he felt embarrassed. Imagine the feeling felt if he were in the presence of God! He cried as he told us of his own rough past (and boy, do I mean rough, gangs, mafia, etc.) and his desire to change but his lack of faith in his ability to make that change. Well if he doesn't have faith then I do! I see so much potential in this family. Antonio the 14 yr old twin suggested "Why don't we fast as a family for dad?" I just got all giddy inside seeing the determination in the kids to help their parents. Sometimes loving your investigators is not only a feeling but the action in helping them receive the restored gospel and become baptized. Well I love them and I'm determined to see them in their little baptismal tunics, getting all nervous at the thought of putting their heads underwater!

Right now I'm working on Charity, the pure love of Christ. I love this quote by Marvin J Ashton

"Perhaps the greatest charity comes when we are kind to each other, when we don't judge or categorize someone else, when we simply give each other the benefit of the doubt or remain quiet. Charity is accepting someones differences, weaknesses, and shortcomings; having patience with someone who has let us down; or resisting the impulse to become offended when someone doesn't handle something the way we might have hoped. Charity is refusing to take advantage of another's weakness and being willing to forgive someone who has hurt us. Charity is expecting the best of each other."

After a potentially confrontational moment with some of the leaders I couldn't help but think about this quote. Before the mission I might have reacted differently but there's just something about wearing Christ's name that makes you want to act better, be better, and become something better.

Con mucho amor,
Hermana Ingram

P.s. Read the Peacegiver! You will never want to hold another grudge again.
Just hanging out under the Jesus statue
Gosh, isn't that THE most beautiful view you have EVER seen?!?! (sarcasm intended)

No comments:

Post a Comment