1. A common term here is called "la hora Peruana" which means "the Peruvian hour" and refers to the MAJOR lack of punctuality. I am not exaggerating when I say that if you plan an activity or meeting at 6 it will start either at 7, 7:30, or 8... I NEVER understood this until finally Hna Sandison's dad sent her an article on Culture Dimensions! Latins run on an entirely different timetable than the US. It's called Event time. When an hour is said for a given event it is more of just a guideline, but in reality the event will start when all the people needed to be there arrive. Which can get pretty frustrating....
2. You can't go a full day without seeing, in the words of Elder Meier, a few scenes of "distasteful nudity." When you live just south of the equator clothes aren't number one on the list of priorities.
3. Latins are dreamers! If she dreamt her husband is cheating on her, it's true. If he dreamt he's getting called to the bishopric, it's true. If they dreamt the first vision before you taught it to them, they're golden. I can't believe people and their dreams here! In my last dream I was in a bathroom waiting room with Taylor Swift, we ate skittles and talked about her secret glass eye. So basically if I have the Latin dreamer-gift that means Taylor Swift is hiding something....
4. I would say about 1 in every 10 lessons we have someone telling us about the demons that are haunting them. Black shadows, invisible beings, unexplainable movement. Last night a man told us the most hilarious story about the female demons that are haunting him! Interesting....
5. Tumbes has by far the highest population of one-legged men, and we are good friends with all of them. They should start a club!
|Happy Independence Day Peru!|
|Feeling like celebrities with our fans...|
|Elder Meier is FEARLESS!|
Con mucho amor,
|I just had to go around and take pictures of the cute kids in costumes! For a second we thought our mission was really cultural|
|Cusco and jungle girls|
|The cutest little marinera girl|
|Incan warrior boys|
|Peruvian Independence Day|
|Peruvian Army men, scary!|
|The wedding! (the Elder's investigators)|
|With the happy couple|
|Cake topper....so accurate!|
|On this episode of Deadliest Catch!|
|P-day at the beach-The district with the world's craziest DL Elder Del Busto who came straight from the jungle!|
|The cute oyster man working hard and selling oysters for 20 soles a kilo!|
|Cute Belen wanted to show us the LIVE crabs she bought!|